Augmentative Communication Devices Aid in Stroke Patients

My loved one is no longer able to speak due to aphasia resulting from a stroke.  We have been to a speech therapist but she still cannot speak clearly.  What can I do?

Augmentative communication devices are readily available and frequently reimbursable by Medicare, Medicaid and/or private insurance both in the home and nursing home settings.  A speech language pathologist can recommend an appropriate device like those available through DynaVox.  Computer technology has helped patients, even those with no prior knowledge of computers, to communicate both in person and via telephone so that they can share their thoughts and feelings with loved ones.  Your Therapy Center therapist can assist in determining if you or your loved one is appropriate for this technology.

For more information on Therapy Center’s services and locations, browse our website,, or contact our corporate office at 337-824-8287.

If you would like to view some of the options available by DynaVox, log on to


This article was written by Rachel Manuel, Mentor & Speech Therapist for Therapy Center.


Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)